TeraCota – Terahertz Coating thickness analysis
A Non-Contact, Multi-Layer Coating & Paint Thickness Sensor with Scanning Capability.
Designed for the coatings industry, the TeraCota 2000 sensor can determine the individual thickness of multiple paint layers on both metallic and non-metallic substrates and offers significant benefits over existing techniques.
The sensor is non-contact, suitable for working on curved surfaces and capable of performing horizontal and vertical line scans.
Based on terahertz technology, the sensor represents a significant leap beyond the current method of measurement for quality and process control in automotive paint application, and also provides significant economic and environmental benefits.
- Non-contact – no couplant required; operates on flat and curved surfaces, including windshield flanges.
- High accuracy reporting of film thickness.
- Both hand-held and fully automated options are available.
- Self-calibrating without the expense and time of sending samples to a third party.
- Suitable for wet-on-wet preparations.
- Industrialized form factor; designed for the automotive manufacturing environment.
- Can be integrated with plant IT systems and existing robotic hardware.
- Non-interpretive; automatic layer thickness calculation without operator input.
- Linescans provide greater information on paint distribution.
|Application Types||Liquid and powder coatings | wet-on-wet preparations | tri-coats|
|Basecoats||Solid | Pearlescent | Metallic (independent of hiding power)|
|Substrates||Metallic (steel, aluminium, etc.) | non-metallic (plastic, carbon fibre, etc.)|
|Curvature||Operates on both flat and curved surfaces|
|Accessible areas||Recessed areas, including window flange|
|Temperature range||From ambient to 150 °C (post bake)|
|Thickness Accuracy*||1.5 µm|
|Minimum Thickness*||5 µm|
|Sampled Area||Spot size of 1-2 mm|
|Measurement Time||Typically 2-4 seconds per point (acquisition plus analysis)|
|Sensor Positioning||Working distance to painted surface of 50 mm (± 0.75 mm)|
|Handheld option provides real-time positional feedback|
|Robot-mounted version requires angular positioning to within ±1° of normal incidence|
* typical values; dependent on individual paint type and properties
|Dimensions (L×W×H)||Sensor head: 20 × 15 × 16.8 cm | Core unit: 63.6 × 60 × 160 cm|
|Approx. weight||Sensor head: 1.6 kg | Core unit: 150 kg (for handheld version)|
|Extension||Sensor-core separation of up to 10 m|
|Communications||Ethernet connection to fixed IP address on internal PC|
|Power requirements||110 / 220 V, 20 A line power, earthed, via standard 3-pin connection|
|Operating temperature||18 °C (64 °F) – 30 °C (86 °F)|
|Operating humidity||20 – 80%, non-condensing|
If you have a sales enquiry please complete the form below. Once submitted, we will aim to contact you within 24 hours.
Entries marked * are required.